Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Few Facts

Since I am being asked to speak to several groups regarding the referendum, I have been digging up a few facts to present.

1) The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County was formed by way of referendum in 1915.
2) We bought our first preserve in 1917, in York Township.
3) Our opportunity to purchase land is fleeting. In 1995, 13 percent, or 26,349 acres, of DuPage County was considered undeveloped. By 2003, the number had dropped by over half to 6 percent, or 12,502 acres. I suspect that now we are down to 4% or 5%.
4) If the referendum passes, homeowners would pay about $3.57 per $100,000 home valuation. For a $300,000 home, the bill would be less than $1.00 per month.
5) This will allow us to purchase about 500-600 additional acres of land.
6) It will also allow us to improve our trail systems, restore prairie, forest, and wetlands, and provide greenway corridors.
7) Even if one nevers steps into a forest preserve, they benefit from cleaner air, cleaner water, and storm water management, all things that the preserves provide.

Well, I don't want to spoil my talk by giving away all of my material. If you would like more info regarding the referendum, feel free to
email me or post a comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home