Sunday, July 09, 2006

A Day in a Dog Park

Yesterday I took some time to survey visitors to our dog park in Springbrook Prairie Forest Preserve. The sample was too small to be statistically accurate, however, it did gave me some things to think about. ("Yes Teacher, that should be 'about which I should think.'")

One thing that I was a little surprised by, was that the only District facility these people used besides the dog park was some use of the trails. Not that I expected a complete use of all our preserves, but many of them were unaware of Willowbrook, Fullersburg, etc. and did not even picnic. I guess I should not be all that much surprised, as I keep hearing that the average time of residency in Naperville is about three years. By the time one hears about Kline Creek Farm, they are being transferred to Wichita. This has me thinking that we need to find new ways to get the word out. Always a problem when trying to be good about taxpayer's money.

What was not surprising was how much these people love the dog parks. They are as friendly as can be and are welcoming to new comers. They really appreciated the opportunity for letting their dogs run. Some of these people come rain or shine, hot or cold. If only I could get the trees to grow faster. Today, every person here would be interested in a 'doggie mat' to clean their dog after they run in the park. They also would appreciate a place to get a cup of coffee. We are looking into it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home