Thursday, June 15, 2006

Summer trips

Today I took my daughters and two of my nieces to the James 'Pate' Phillip State Park. First we watched the movie in the nature center. Then we hiked down to the marsh to look at the heron nests. My nieces had never seen a great blue heron, so seeing the colts (heron babies) on a nest was something special. With binoculars, it was almost like we were in the nest.

A week ago, I took my daughters to McDowell Grove. While we were watching a great egret hunting, a northern water snake swam right up to us on the shoreline. To be honest, I had to research what kind of snake it was. Now I have another herp on my list. Northern water snakes are not poisonous, but their saliva has an anti-coagulant in it. So it is a good idea to avoid getting bit because it is hard to stop the bleeding.

My kids love these little trips. Fact is, I am a little kid when it comes to nature, so it is a joy to do it. Plus, the cost of these trips was the cost of the gas to get there. If you are looking for something fun to do this summer, come to one of the Forest Preserves in DuPage County and take the time to look around. The price is right and a whole new world will open up before you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home