Friday, May 09, 2008

Israel Warner

As an elected official I receive all sorts of invitations. Some from people whom I do not know. But I received one today that made me stop... and think. It was for the dedication of the grave of Israel Putnam Warner. He was born in 1768. He joined the Continental Line in 1777. At the age of 9! He served for the entire duration of the Revolutionary War. That was some kind of devotion to a cause. You and I enjoy freedoms, that prior to that were merely parlor debates. That changed in 1776 with the Declaration Of Independence. Our Founders committed all, as written in the Declaration "...And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."


This has given me a renewed appreciation for all who have sacrificed for our freedoms. This Memorial Day I will remember with gratitude Israel Warner and all of the others. The many blessings we enjoy today are a gift given to us, in part, by a 9 year old boy.

As a memorial to Israel Warner, I am making a donation to
Operation Support Our Troops Illinois.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home