Tuesday, May 23, 2006

California was nice

I just recently attended The Special Park Districts Forum. This year's host agencies were East Bay Regional Park District and Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District.
While Illinois was enjoying rainy days (How many of you had complained that we haven't had a Spring for the last few years.), California was sunny, cloudy, foggy, very cold and blazing hot. In Chicago it is said if you don't like the weather, stick around, it will change. In this section of California, if you don't like the weather, drive 12 or so miles for a change.

The concept of this forum is to glean ideas from experiencing how they run their Districts. So instead of sitting in a hotel room on uncomfortable chairs, listening to a really boring presentation, we go out into the parks. Then we not only learn from the presenter, but have plenty of time to chat with people from open space agencies all over the country. This is really valuable. I came away with many great ideas. I will get into this more over the next few posts.

On the fun side, I have several new birds to add to my birding list, as soon as I get a list. These include the Prairie Falcon, Western Bluebird male and female.), Ravens,
and more. For my animal ecologists friends, I also found a Banana Slug (a 8" slimy, off-colored yellow creature.)

More soon...













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home